Thursday, April 2, 2009

What have I done for myself lately?

Okay. A month between posts is a little much. Here are some things I've done lately.

I went to a feminist men's consciousness raising group. Not only that, but I provided a reading and facilitated a discussion. And not only that, but I emailed my man friends and invited them to come. None of them did, which, to be honest, was something of a relief. Thinking about that now makes me feel a little sad about the seriously deep fear I have about revealing myself to others, especially men. And despite my relief, I guess I am a little bummed out that nobody took me up on the invite. Unpacking patriarchal damage and privilege is a little lonely right now.

I watched Milk and partook in a post-movie discussion where I put my listening skills to good use. Meaning I didn't say anything. Which I feel okay about. I struggle with expressing myself, but I know there are times when it's more useful for me to just listen and learn about some new ideas from folks who have been thinking about certain things a lot longer than I have.

I went to my flamenco dance classes. And I bought dancing shoes. I thought a dance class would help me inhabit my body in a more sensual way. I often think of my body in terms of fitness, toughness, hardness etc. I'm trying to let go of my ideal of a superhero physique. I think I want physical fitness that is appropriate to my real life. I really enjoy riding my bike and playing soccer. I'd like to be fit enought to do those things. And I'd like to be able to stand on my hands for... I don't know, five minutes. And it's okay if I don't end up with wildly toned abs.

So! There's some of my life. I will try to post more regularly in the future.

No comments: